Sunday, March 25, 2012

Abra cadabra: Concocting the spell

I attempted both etching and piercing the silver for the pieces, etching the pennyfarthing and rider on either side of one disc of silver.

 I pierced the dandelion and diagrettes on two thinner silver discs, as the image allowed for piercing it our without any pieces falling out-a limitation i will have to consider with my future attempts.
 I blackened and then removed the blackening around the pierced sections so that they would stand out next to the vinyl which i used as a backing for each image, in-between the two sheets of silver.
 I drilled holes all around each disc which was quite tricky to align, I did my best by drilling four evenly spaced holes lied up on each, and then tightly tying them together through those holes before drilling further.
 The etched disc is unfotrunately not as harsh a silhouette as is necessary for this trick to work, but perhaps resin might be the solution, if i etch deeper a thicker disc in future. It is quite important to get this one right eventually because it allows for the images in which pierced pieces would fall out- such as the bicycle or bird cage.

The holes around the discs are there because I think threading the edges is a good solution to give it an extra something. a flat disc can be quite boring, and it will also be a visual link to the string that it spins on.

No comments:

Post a Comment