Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ceramics. Learning how.

Once my pressed pieces had been "bisqued" I painted them with various under-glazes and oxides, glazing some and not others or glazing parts and not others.
As can be expected some turned out well (in my opinion) and others not.


I particularly took to those with oxides which I did not glaze over as they look old and are mat. 
Those which I wiped all but the recesses clear of colour also look quite effective. 

The yellow under-glaze seems to be most effective when used on high relief or very selectively as it otherwise washes all the detail into a blob-like blur.
Here I used glazes and underglazes selectively withing each piece. It seems to be most effective with the oxides.
I broke this piece befor it was even bisque but saw some potential for putting it back together as a piece later on. It suggests something of fragments of memory to me.

In this piece the strong contour of the ceramics actually made it quite effective with very little colour. So too is the case for the lamb below it. Unfortunately the glaze ran in to the drilled holes closing it up, so in future I must take better care to keep the glaze away from the holes,

These Babushka dolls are concave with hollows at the back. I think if I am to use such subtle colours the carved or sculpted detail will have to be deeper.


Continuing my thaumatropes into ceramics I found success in this one where the oxide creates a strong enough image to see when it turns.
The Babushka doll adopts the larger outline when spun.



No comments:

Post a Comment