Sunday, March 13, 2011

Elementary my dear Watson


I used a silhouette resembling Sherlock Holmes on one of the vinyl cuffs I made.
Sherlock Holmes is an iconic figure from literature, movies and even animations such as The Great Mouse Detective which i remember watching when i was young. 
I have always been a fan of a good old "whodunnit" and this image stirs that  thrill of trying to figure out who the culprit is. I am reminded of the computer game my siblings and i played when we were younger called "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago" in which you were a suave looking detective in search of an escaped criminal clothed in the immortal black and white stripes of a jailbird. 
The most recent movie which brought about that same old feeling of intrigue and excitement was the 2007 movie Sleuth. I thought it a lovely token to later find out that Michael Caine was now playing the older of the two main characters, of which he had played the younger in the 1972 version of the film. I like the thought that the same story now holds two eras of memories for him, and new ones for my generation, because someone was not afraid to bring back the past in a modern context and keep the story alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment